Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Breastfeeding Update

I decided yesterday to no longer pump. My supply had gone down from 2-2.5 oz to 1 oz down to now .5 oz. I have struggled with this decision and had been feeling guilty about the whole breastfeeding situation even though I said I wasn't going to. It's a hard to decision to make because you want what is best for your child and you don't want people to judge you. I've unfortunately always been the type of person to worry about what everyone thinks of me and I didn't want to be looked at as a bad mom.

After talking to a friend yesterday who wasn't able to breastfeed her baby I felt a lot better about my decision. It is not my fault that I have really large breasts and flat nipples. I can't change that. I can't help it that my daughter didn't latch on and the nipple shield didn't work for me. I can't help that my milk supply wasn't as much as I would like it to be. My daughter got the Colostrum which is the most important thing and she received breast milk via bottle for 3 weeks. I can't be mad at that. She had been getting formula since she was born because of Jaundice and it helped her to get rid of it and get back to her birth weight. So formula is the best choice for us.

I'm learning to not be mad about it and know that as long as my little girl is healthy that's all that matters. Liz goes for her next checkup in two weeks so we will see what the peditrician says about it then. Thanks for everyone's support!

4 comments:

  1. None of us are going to think that you are a bad mom for doing everything you can for your daughter! I may not have had a baby, but I imagine the philosophy is about the same when it comes to raising kids, no matter what their age. You can't control everything and you have to roll with the punches. We know you are a great mom and you will always do your best. That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mom and you should be proud you got 3 weeks out of it!!! Way to go! There are a lot who can't breastfeed so hats off to trying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolutely have to do what's best! You are a wonderful mom! There is nothing wrong with a formula fed baby. I was! I'll be switching Lexie over in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like such a great mom who is doing what's best for your little girl! You have such a warm heart and determination that is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete