Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Hardship or a Blessing in Disguise?

This past Thursday I was laid off at my job. I know I mentioned it in another blog post that I was worried about this and sure enough it happened. I was hoping it wouldn't happen until closer to my maternity leave but of course it didn't happen like that. Even though I knew my position was in jeopardy and I had been trying to mentally prepare I still cried like a baby. I cried because since I was 16 years old I have always had a job. I have always made my own money and supported myself. Not only this but this came at the worst time with only 8 weeks until Elizabeth is supposed to be here. I mean NO ONE is going to hire me when I would be leaving in 8 weeks or less to go on maternity leave.

My company doesn't give a severance package nor do they pay out sick/vacation time which I had over 5 weeks saved for my maternity leave. The only thing I  got was one extra paycheck. It is so frustrating financially. Yes I will be able to apply for unemployment but I will not receive unemployment benefits while I'm unable to work when Elizabeth is born. So until the doctor releases me to go back to work I will not have any income coming in.

Next weekend Joey and I will be celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary and in that one year we have both experienced being laid off for the first time. I know that people say the first year of marriage is the hardest but DAMN both of us getting laid off in our first year of marriage is absurd! And of course they both came at the worst possible times. Joey's company went out of business right before the wedding and his last day was the week we got back from our honeymoon and now I get laid off when we're 8 weeks away from our baby girl coming into the world. Every time things are going good in our lives some kind of set back always happens. I think God doesn't want us to get complacent or too comfortable. I will say that my hubby got a way better job after he had been laid off and I can only hope the same will happen for me.

I do believe everything happens for a reason and I can only pray that this was God's way of telling me I need to take it easy until she gets here because she doesn't need to come early and/or that there is something better for me once I am able to work again. I just have to keep telling myself that and try to get through this period financially. I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we go through this hard time in our lives.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. I'm so sorry, Heather! I will definitely be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that rotten news :( saying a prayer for y'all and hope that it all works out. Just focus on your precious baby for now and take one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there girl. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your time off as you prepare to welcome sweet Liz into the world and then enjoy being home with her when she's here. Something great will come along for you, I just know it. Keep your chin up and your spirits high. You and Joey love each other and can get through anything together. Just let me know if you need anything. I'm just a phone call away :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I am soooo sorry to hear about that. I got laid off from my job a few years ago so I completely understand how hard it can be. Everything will work out for the best though and I'm sure family will help y'all through this. Just look forward to your sweet girl coming soon! :) I'm here if you wanna chat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry girl. That's so tough. You are right though - it could be a blessing in disguise. You'll be in my prayers

    ReplyDelete