Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, February 28, 2011

Five Years Ago

Yesterday was five years that I lost my father. I was only 21 and my youngest sister was 18. He passed away suddenly from a drug overdose and my youngest sister is the one that found him. His death was very hard on us. Even though he'd battled his drug addiction for many many years we prayed that it wouldn't be the cause of his death. I can't explain to you how it feels to loose a parent that way and at such a young age. Over time I guess I have learned to deal with it better. Its funny because I don't tear up on the anniversary of his death or his birthday but when I hear a song that reminds me of him or about a father and his daughter or when I see anything on a movie or TV regarding dads I always ball!

When my dad passed away he was buried in Converse, LA where my grandparents had an extra plot beside theirs and decided to bury him there. It is about a 4 hour drive one way from Houston, TX so my sisters and I don't get to visit his grave often. Yesterday my youngest sister and I along with our husbands made the trip and met my grandparents there. My grandparents put new flowers on his tombstone and we visited for a little while. Sorry I didn't take any pics yesterday as I looked like crap. When my dad first passed away my best friend made me a pic of me and my dad and had the frame engraved "In Loving Memory" with his birth and death dates. Here is a pic sorry for the blur:


Even though my dad had his issues he was the sweetest man and so smart! I would talk to him frequently about how school was going and life in general. We were very close and I miss him dearly every day!



3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you...
    Even when things are a little rough with your parents, they're still your parents and losing them is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you friend! I'm glad you got to go to the grave site. I know he's looking down and smiling upon you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's with you always, Heather. I know that he is so proud of the amazing woman that you have become - so many beautiful accomplishments. You are such a genuine, amazing, loving and strong person. And you are going to be an incredible Mommy. Love and admire you!

    ReplyDelete