Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, June 24, 2010

In Memory of Austin Haynes


This sweet boy and my "foster" cousin passed away a year ago today from complications with his diabetes. He was only 17 years old. This year he would have went to his Senior Prom, been an usher in my wedding and graduated from High School. It has been pretty hard on his parents and grandparents as this was their only child and grandchild. Yes I am a part of their family but its still not the same.

Diabetes should be taken very seriously as it is not something to mess with. In 2006, diabetes was the 7th leading cause of death. Over 23 million children and adults in the U.S. have diabetes. Depending on what type of diabetes you have you can control it with diet and exercise or by taking insulin. For the past couple of years supporting the American Diabetes Association has been very important to me. My dad's mother has diabetes as well as both of Joey's grandparents, my best friend's sister and then my cousin. Last year my family and I created a team in memory of Austin to participate in the Step Out to Diabetes Walk. We also raised over $4,000. I'm hoping that we can do that again this year and I would like your support in helping us in our fight against Diabetes.

When I have our page ready I will let you know. Thanks for all your support and love!



3 comments:

  1. My grandmother and a high school best friend both have diabetes. It can be scary sometimes. So sorry you lost someone so young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss but think it is wonderful that you are bringing attention to the cause. Diabetes is one of those diseases we hear about but don't think too much of. It's great that you are continuing to bring awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that is so sad. 17 is much to young to pass away, especially from something like diabetes. My heart goes out to you and his family :-(

    ReplyDelete